Paramaribo, Suriname – Caribbean Information and Credit Rating Services Limited (CariCRIS) has issued favorable credit ratings to Finabank N.V., affirming the bank’s “good creditworthiness.” The ratings are as follows: srA (Suriname National Scale Foreign Currency) and srA+ (Suriname National Scale Local Currency). These ratings reflect Finabank’s strong financial position and its significant role in Suriname’s banking sector. The stable outlook on the ratings is a further testament to the bank’s sound financial health.
CariCRIS, a renowned credit rating agency, evaluated Finabank’s creditworthiness on the Suriname national scale, positioning the bank favorably when compared to its peers within the country.
Finabank’s credit ratings are attributed to its solid market presence within Suriname, marked by a history of profitable operations and excellent asset quality. Moreover, the bank boasts strong capitalization levels and an effective risk management framework. These positive factors have led to CariCRIS assigning the “good creditworthiness” rating to the bank.
Furthermore, the stable outlook indicates CariCRIS’ confidence that Finabank will continue to maintain its strong performance, generating operating profits, maintaining robust capitalization, and sustaining solid liquidity levels over the next 12 to 15 months.
The bank’s success in the Suriname banking sector can be partly attributed to its regional expansion initiatives and its strong governance structure, which enhances its risk management practices. Additionally, Finabank’s financial stability is underscored by its diversified income streams and efficient operations, as well as high-quality assets.
Despite these strengths, the bank’s credit rating is constrained by its significant exposure to the volatile Suriname economy, where the majority of its earnings, assets, and funding are concentrated. Additionally, Finabank’s relatively small size and heavy reliance on wholesale funding have a moderating influence on its credit ratings.
Rating Sensitivity Factors
CariCRIS has outlined key factors that could lead to either an improvement or a downgrade in Finabank’s credit ratings:
Positive Factors for Improvement:
- Improvement in Government of Suriname’s Credit Risk Profile: A better economic and business environment for Finabank.
- Retail Deposits ≥ 40% of Funding Base
- A Sustained 100% Increase in Profit After Tax (PAT) for Two Consecutive Financial Years
- Tangible Net Worth (TNW) to Total Adjusted Assets Reaches 12% or Above for Two Consecutive Financial Years
Negative Factors for Downgrade:
- Deterioration in the Government of Suriname’s Credit Risk Profile
- Gross Non-Performing Loans (NPLs) to Gross Loans Ratio Reaches 5% or More
- Cost to Income ≥ 50% for Two Consecutive Financial Years
- A Sustained Greater than 10% Decline in Total Income for Two Consecutive Financial Years
- Capital Adequacy Ratio (CAR) Falls Below the 10% Minimum Requirement
Finabank N.V., established in 1991, is a privately-owned commercial bank headquartered in Paramaribo, Suriname. Over the years, it has evolved into a prominent financial institution, catering to a diverse clientele, including corporate and private clients, government entities, and financial institutions. As of June 2023, the bank reported a profit after tax (PAT) averaging SR $97.2 million (or US $4.1 million) over the last three financial years, with total assets standing at SR $15.4 billion (or US $403.6 million). Notably, it is the first bank in Suriname to receive credit ratings from CariCRIS.